Old May 9th 09, 02:32 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Tuuk Tuuk is offline

Default Homebrew antenna question please?

Hi

Hope I can get some advice from the experts about my antenna.

I have a 50ft self supporting tower, my goal is to put 2 antennas up. One
dipole and one omni.

I have an old omni direction antenna that I wish to put at the top, it has 3
traps in it with no writting on it so I am not sure what bands it will be
suitable for however I have a pretty good tuner so I can use it on most
bands. I also have one of those brackets that allows me to use ground planes
with it, 4 ground planes aluminum and longest possible is what I try because
the wind brings them down fast.

Second is a simple dipole, I think it is 60 foot each side or little more
however it hangs over the trees on each side so it isn't perfectly straight.
It is connected to a ladder line then connected to my tuner then my Drake
TR7.

These two seem to work OK for me in the past, I hope for some advice on
these and please answer the following questions.

1- Any idea what the omni direction antenna with the three traps is for
which bands? It is about 22ft long with the three traps on the bottom half,
old aluminum antenna.

2- What about those ground planes? Are they necessary?

3- On the dipole, I have a 1:1 balun in the garage, should I use this with
the dipole? The antenna tuner already has some device to balance so is it
necessary for the other balun? Someone told me it is so I must ask.

any advice would be great,,, thanks

Neal