Old May 10th 09, 01:25 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Kevin Alfred Strom Kevin Alfred Strom is offline

Default A question about shortwave reception...

wrote:
On May 10, 1:15 am, MacaualyFlower
wrote:
Hello,

I was at the beach yesterday and enjoyed spectacular shortwave
reception. When I got back home after that I tried to listen to
shortwave in my house but I didn't have a very good time of it.

I was wondering if there is a way to listen to shortwave in your
house. I have heard of something called an attic loop? Would that
work well? Are those easy to install and are they fairly inexpensive?

Thanks!

Andrew.

Wearing a tin foil hat works everytime!

That's not a kind (or grammatical) response to someone who just
wants help with the hobby.

Andrew:

An outdoor antenna will always work better for you than an indoor
one, because it is farther away from the radio noise generated by
appliances and consumer electronics in the home, and it isn't
subject to reduced signal strength due to the building itself.

Nevertheless, if an outside antenna is absolutely impossible, an
attic antenna will often work better than the radio's built-in whip
antenna indoors.

Antennas are a big subject, upon which many books have been written,
but here is a brief article which should help you get started:

http://www.hamuniverse.com/shortwaveantenna.html

With best wishes,

Kevin, WB4AIO.
--