Old May 11th 09, 01:47 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Harold E. Johnson Harold E. Johnson is offline

Default Radial straight down

"Richard" wrote in message
Has anyone ever bored a hole into the ground and dangled a radial or
counterpoise down it instead of burying a radial 6" horizontally under the
ground or stringing out a counterpoise?

Any promise in doing this? Or is it a non-starter?

Well, I have a 1/2 wave inverted L for 160 that I use with a remotely tuned
L network on 160, 80 and 40. The matching network sits on top of a 6 inch
well casing that goes down 90 feet and is grounded to that. That was
initially my only ground. The 160 meter impedance was 2600 Ohms and 1800 on
80 and 700 on 40. I later installed a counterpoise under the horizontal
portion of the antenna, 160 feet at 10 foot elevation. Of course, I didn't
notice any change in operational reports or anything, but the feedpoint
impedance went to 1900, 1200 and 450 Ohms respectively. I suppose the
earthworms think that global freezing is taking place, but no other effects
noted. It's been a very effective LF antenna for over 20 years both ways.

W4ZCB