Old May 11th 09, 10:38 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Richard Clark Richard Clark is offline

Default Antenna modeling software

On 11 May 2009 20:42:45 +0100, Gordon wrote:

I have seen a few antenna modeling programs mentioned here.
Is there any concensus within the group on which one is
better to use?

Hi Gordon,

Use NEC.

Any that are free?

What is your pain worth?

- Consider that I am pretty much a beginner when it
comes to antennas.

Then use the one most mentioned among a group of people who regularly
exchange their work and discuss their results. I won't be coy, it is
called EZNEC. However, that is not the last word in recommendations.

- I am intrested in modeling receiving antennas in the
UHF and VHF bands.

Receiving and transmitting are merely the difference of the PTT
button.

- My big point of couriosity right now is reflectors.
I want to see the effects of various wires, rods, screens,
foil, etc.

This would demand a modeler with the ability to work with a large
number of "segments." Don't go there until you can build a dipole and
understand how it works in free space, over ground, and across three
orders of frequency change. If you do this first on a simple, cheap
or free modeler; then you will be better educated in what you need in
a tool, and how much to spend if it comes to that.

I suppose that I could pepper the group with questions.
But, at some point it's best to do my own damn research.

Good for you for saying that; but rest assured you still will pepper
the group with questions. This is not a past-time that fades over the
weekend.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC