Old May 17th 09, 06:07 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default What is the correlation between radio waves and cancer?

On Sat, 16 May 2009 21:25:24 -0700 (PDT), MacaualyFlower
wrote:

I know that there is some concern that cell phones may cause cancer.
But is there any possible correlation between the radio waves we use
to communicate, either by commercial radio or other sources and
cancer? Or what about the radio waves that are being emitted from our
personal electronic appliances? I have heard that there is some
concern that if you live near a power line that you may be at risk for
cancer. What is the state of research into this subject?

This has what to do with amateur radio or antennas?

I covered the topic about 2 years ago in:
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.internet.wireless/msg/fd25bae4b3f10c13
The US incidence rate for brain and central nervous system cancers has
been fairly flat at about 6-7 cases per 100,000 population per year
since about 1975 (SEER 9). It's kinda difficult to pry a usable graph
out of the web pile, so I ran the "fast stats" for long term brain
cancer, for all age and ethnic groups. See:
http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/crud/brain-CNS-cancer.jpg
(Note that the incidence of brain cancer is actually decreasing with
time). If there were a correlation between cell phone use and cancer,
one would expect to see at least a nominal rise in brain cancer
incidence, as cell phone use has dramatically increased the same time
period.

The current FCC position on RF safety is at:
http://www.fcc.gov/oet/rfsafety/
http://www.fcc.gov/Bureaus/Engineering_Technology/Documents/bulletins/oet60/oet60a.pdf

Your risk of dying from a vehicle accident, while driving and talking
on a cell phone, is far greater than the alleged risk of contracting
cancer.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D