Old November 20th 03, 03:26 PM
Carl R. Stevenson

"John Passaneau" wrote in message
Hi:
I like the crimp on BNC's myself but the solder kind are OK. The twist on

RS
ones are probably OK in low frequency low power but I wouldn't trust them
myself. In fact, I wouldn't buy one except in desperation.
Your concerns are the same ones I have. As I can buy Amphonal crimp BNC's
for $1.85 each anywhere, I would invest $50 in a crimp tool and go that
route.

I also have serious doubts about the screw-on BNCs for anything but low
power
and low frequency - they may work moderately well for video, but I wouldn't
trust them for RF either.

WRT the crimped variety, the military uses them extensively and test data
seems
to clearly indicate that they are 1) easier to assemble correctly, given the
correct
strip lengths and crimping tool, and 2) if properly assembled they are at
least as
reliable as soldered BNCs and probably moreso.

I use crimp BNCs exclusively when I want BNC connectors.

73,
Carl - wk3c