Old May 21st 09, 01:17 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Ian Jackson[_2_] Ian Jackson[_2_] is offline

Default 6 to 1 balun design

In message
,
raypsi writes
Hey OM:
A 3:1 mismatch you only lose 25% of the power. And that's power not
voltage.

Where does the 3:1 SWR come from? With the off-the-shelf $2 300:75 ohm
balun, connected to a 50 ohm feeder, the mismatch will be only 1.5:1.

So with 50 to 75 ohms you are not going to lose much.

Exactly.

And you
need plenty of signal so there won't be any pixelization.

And if you
don't use a balun at all: you have the shield of your coax as an
antenna too.

Arrrrrhg!!!!. That's NOT a situation you want to have!

I say connect direct and forget about it.

And I say FIT IT and forget about it! It's so easy to do things
'properly'.

There's only 2 possibles; either you don't get enough signal or you
do. Those are better odds than the lottery.

You're correct about this bit!
--
Ian