Old May 21st 09, 06:41 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Cecil Moore[_2_] Cecil Moore[_2_] is offline

Default ATU: Correct way to specify impedance range

K7ITM wrote:
... we ought to hold the ham
manufacturers' feet to the fire to do something similar.

I suspect their average amateur radio customer
doesn't understand the meaning of 1000+j1000
much less comprehend graphs on a Smith Chart.

I recently published an article over on eHam.net
that contained a Smith Chart. One of the reactions
was that Smith Charts are obsolete and have been
replaced by software programs that just provide
the answers without all the effort and pain involved
with understanding a Smith Chart.

One doesn't need to know anything about hyperbolic
trig functions any more. Just point and click.
--
73, Cecil, IEEE, OOTC, http://www.w5dxp.com