Old November 20th 03, 05:05 PM
Reg Edwards

"nathan" wrote
I have always heard that this is true, and that I should tune antennas
for maximum field strength and not for minimum SWR. Why wouldn't they
occur at the same time?

.................................................. ......

Minimum SWR informs you your transmitter is loaded with the nearest possible
impedance to 50 ohms.

Maximum field strength informs you your transmitter is sending out maximum
possible power.

There's no way of knowing whether or not the two conditions coincide.

It may occur at maximum field strength that the load on the transmitter
causes distortion and poor efficiency in the PA with excessive internal
volts or amps or watts.

So to avoid flogging the PA or power supply to an early death you should
always tune up to minimum, preferably zero SWR.

You have to balance the probabilities. What are the chances of winning the
contest before the PA issues smoke.
----
Reg, G4FGQ