Old October 15th 03, 11:47 AM
Don Pearce

On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 11:28:06 +0100, Paul Burridge
wrote:

Hi chaps,

Heading sums it up. I'm using a 74HC04 to 'square-off' a sine wave,
but it's causing a fair amount of ringing on the output signal's highs
and lows which appears to be finding its way through to the eventual
final stage. How do I best eliminate (or at least drastically reduce)
this nuisance? The square wave frequency is 8Mhz., btw.

Thanks,

p.

Layout, layout and layout.

Decouplers close to chips, short ground leads. Also be quite certain
that the ringing is really there. Ditch the ground lead from the scope
probe and make a very short one by wrapping stiff wire round the earth
ring at the end of the probe and leaving a piece as long as the probe
tip sticking out. Get up close to the chip signal and ground pins and
see if the ringing is gone.

http://www.pearce.uk.com