Old May 24th 09, 06:42 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
dave dave is offline

Default "iBiquity approved". Really, what a joke

David Eduardo wrote:

"dave" wrote in message
David Eduardo wrote:

"Brenda Ann" wrote in message

"David Eduardo" wrote in message
news With
antenna heights approaching 2000' HAAT, the Portland, OR FM's put
a good stereo signal out to about 20 miles when running only their
10W exciters (which has been done on a few occasions when mains
power was out over a wide area for an extended time).

And likely nobody was listening... that is too little power to
generate any audinece.

I doubt they lost any significant number of listeners in the metro
area, since all stations at that point were on an equal playing
field, and already had their audiences. I know that at my place on
the far east end of the county I noticed absolutely no difference in
signal quality.

Laws of Physics step in here... the average home or at work
listener's receiver is not sensitive enough to pick up much under a
65 to near 70 dbu signal, so they weren't listening to anything.

Whatever, 'dwardo. I've used an exciter at 440' to cover about to a
15 mile radius in good stereo.

The case here is that listeners, in real environments, don't / can't
tune in signals much below about 64 to 65 dbu.

Your consumerborg target demo is perhaps too stupid to work an FM
receiver but lots of normal people know about antennas and such.