Old May 25th 09, 04:59 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
David Eduardo[_4_] David Eduardo[_4_] is offline

Default "iBiquity approved". Really, what a joke

"Brenda Ann" wrote in message

I don't know what
sort of oddball signal black hole you have there, but in the rest of the
real world, low power does work.

No, it does not. In evaluations of the listening of several million Arbitron
diary keepers, where listening locations were identified by ZIP code, less
than 5% of the listening time was outside the 54 dbu contour. Most, 85% was
inside the 70 dbu. Interestingly, this matches the reception characteristics
of most consumer grade radios.

Your anecdotal evidence is amusing, but there is no data you provided that
shows that anyone even listens to these facilities at the distance you
mention. We all have such experiences... I got the exciter of one of my
transmitters in Ecuador (located about 3000 feet above Quito) nearly 200 km
away on a friend's hacienda; unfortunately, the fact that only the exciter
was on made for a long drive back to the city and up the hill.

Also, I'm sure you know that there are
many places on the east coast where a 6KW plant is as big as it gets..

That's not so. There are B's and A's in most of the NE, just as there are in
Southern California. Oh, and that is where an LA A duo is now sitting in the
top 5 18-49 and 25-54, but that's because there are 8 million people inside
the 64 dbu's of the two.