Old May 28th 09, 04:15 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Bob D.[_2_] Bob D.[_2_] is offline

Default What's the Dealio with the J-pole?

I decided to install a 2m FM rig in my garage to stay in touch with the
local repeaters while working on the car. I want a quick and dirty homebrew
antenna at the roof line. I know the J-pole is a popular 2m antenna, but
why??? The J-pole is basically a half wave antenna fed at the end, right? At
2m you are only 19 inches away from the 50 ohm feed point (a classic
dipole), so why not just loop the coax into the middle and forget the
matching stub? Am I missing something?

If I do this, would a clip on ferrite at the feed point make a good
choke-balun?

--
Bob D. ND9B