Old May 30th 09, 06:45 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Sal M. Onella Sal M. Onella is offline

Default Sun Spots

"tom" wrote in message
. net...
tom wrote:

snip

... one of my co-workers gave me a wonderful paperback
textbook last week "The Theory and Design of Circular Antenna Arrays" by
James D. Tillman, Jr., The University of Tennessee Engineering
Experiment Station, 1966.

The design, testing, scope pictures and the wonderful racks of gear they
built makes for a great piece of work.

Just a guess, but maybe it deals with the Wullenweber [or Wullenwever]
antenna, described here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wullenweber and
elsewhere.

The article cites Hanza, Okinawa, Japan, where I was stationed in 1965/66
and worked inside the antenna building. The basement was filled with
multicouplers and several very large spinning goniometers to pick off the
desired signals. It also cites the array at Imperial Beach, which is not
far. I see it several times a year but it was abandoned years ago and may
be coming down. I wonder who gets all that nice RF cable.

"Off-topic Sal"