Old May 30th 09, 08:08 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Sal M. Onella Sal M. Onella is offline

Default What's the Dealio with the J-pole?

"Rich Griffiths" wrote in message
communications...
On Thu, 28 May 2009 11:15:52 -0400, Bob D. wrote:

I decided to install a 2m FM rig in my garage to stay in touch with the
local repeaters while working on the car.

snip

A J-pole for outdoor use can be easy to build, easy to mount, and very
rugged. For indoor use, you might want to settle for a simple twin-lead
J-pole, which is even easier to build and can be easy to mount.

snip

I'd go with whatever seems easiest to make and easiest to mount in your
particular situation.

Amen. I have long been a fan of the copper pipe J-pole.. I've built about
two dozen of them over the years, 6m, 2m, 220 and 440. We have three of
mine on the local fire station for RACES. We go up on the roof and retape
the connectors every few years -- that's it.

My only deviation from the many Internet plans has been the inclusion of a
100 pF cap inline with the center conductor at the feed point if the VSWR
minimum wasn't 1:1 somewhere in the band after the first couple of tries.

Yes, you should choke the feedline, if not with ferrites, then with a few
tight turns of the coax.

The copper pipe j-pole can mount to almost anything; there's no significant
RF current in the lowest pipe section (below the J).

"Sal"