Old May 31st 09, 03:32 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,alt.tv.tech.hdtv
Rich Griffiths Rich Griffiths is offline

Default "Panel" style UHF DTV antenna?

On Sat, 30 May 2009 21:32:58 -0400, Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:

In article .net,
Usual Suspect wrote:

I must say at the outset that I am hesitant to buy an antenna based on
its form-factor, but I'm forced by the local code to not display
bare-element type antennae on the mast.

I don't believe the local code has any say in the matter.

But if you want to give up your rights...

I believe what Elmo says is correct.

Check out: http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

which says, in part:

The rule (47 C.F.R. Section 1.4000) has been in effect since October
1996, and it prohibits restrictions that impair the installation,
maintenance or use of antennas used to receive video programming. The
rule applies to video antennas including direct-to-home satellite dishes
that are less than one meter (39.37") in diameter (or of any size in
Alaska), TV antennas, and wireless cable antennas. The rule prohibits
most restrictions that: (1) unreasonably delay or prevent installation,
maintenance or use; (2) unreasonably increase the cost of installation,
maintenance or use; or (3) preclude reception of an acceptable quality
signal.

In this ruling, the FCC pre-empted not only state and local government
regulations but HOA CCR's and landlords' restrictions on renters.

This came about because the broadcasters have a strong lobby, and they
didn't want widespread limitations on receiving their over-the-air or
satellite transmissions.