Old May 31st 09, 05:04 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,alt.tv.tech.hdtv
raypsi raypsi is offline

Default "Panel" style UHF DTV antenna?

On May 30, 8:28*pm, Usual Suspect wrote:
WInegard makes an antenna-in-a-box, the SS-1000 which lists ~4 db gain over
the UHF TV range:

http://tinyurl.com/nqpzm2

I must say at the outset that I am hesitant to buy an antenna based on its
form-factor, but I'm forced by the local code to not display bare-element
type antennae on the mast.

I do like the panel style for the reason that I can arrange 3 around a common
mast, aimed at remote cities, and join the outputs for increased coverage..

Has anyone experience with the SS-1000? Or can recommend a similar style
antenna?

Thanks.
--
Al, the usual

Hey OM
This si just a rehash of another post awhile back in this here forum.
But DTV will never go away so:

I seen one on youtube, there are a tonne of them, but this, to the
best of my recollection, one used:

1pc 1x2 2ft long board
5 steel wire coat hangers
dry wall screws
and a 75 ohm to 300 ohm balun

to make a 4 bay bowtie antenna

Ideally that's 6 db over, just a single bowtie.

And an 8 bay bowtie would be 9db.

I the real world it would be slightly less

Capture area of stacked antennas is greater, so less UHF fading. Like
when the wind blows trees branches around and when cars and trucks go
by.

But nothing like watching a pixelated picture. Unless you got a good
memory in that set box.

73 OM
de n8zu