Old May 31st 09, 07:00 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,alt.tv.tech.hdtv
Jerry[_5_] Jerry[_5_] is offline

Default "Panel" style UHF DTV antenna?

"Usual Suspect" wrote in message
obal.net...
WInegard makes an antenna-in-a-box, the SS-1000 which lists ~4 db gain
over
the UHF TV range:

http://tinyurl.com/nqpzm2

I must say at the outset that I am hesitant to buy an antenna based on its
form-factor, but I'm forced by the local code to not display bare-element
type antennae on the mast.

I do like the panel style for the reason that I can arrange 3 around a
common
mast, aimed at remote cities, and join the outputs for increased coverage.

Has anyone experience with the SS-1000? Or can recommend a similar style
antenna?

Thanks.
--
Al, the usual

Hi Al

The gain of an antenna is related to its radiation pattern shape.
When the signal ois divided between several antennas, the "gain" of the
system is lowered.

For instance, when the "gain" of the antenna is the result of its
directuivity being restricted to 180 degrees azimuth, and the second
(identical) antenna is mounted to cover the other 180 degrees, the "gain of
the both" is 3 dB. lower than the gain of either antenna alone.

If the "remote cities" produce signals that are weak enough that you are
required to have antenna gain to receive them, you may need a switch that
disconnects all but one antenna for channels from that city.

Jerry KD6JDJ