Old May 31st 09, 07:16 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,alt.tv.tech.hdtv
[email protected] stratus46@yahoo.com is offline

Default "Panel" style UHF DTV antenna?

On May 31, 10:06*am, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Sat, 30 May 2009 17:28:18 -0700, Usual Suspect

wrote:

WInegard makes an antenna-in-a-box, the SS-1000 which lists ~4 db

gain over
the UHF TV range:
http://tinyurl.com/nqpzm2

4dB isn't very much gain. *Compare this with some other available
antennas:
http://www.hdtvprimer.com/ANTENNAS/comparing.html
Unfortunately, the SS-1000 and SS-1000 are not listed.

Sure it is but it's called 'Square Shooter'

Depending on the distance between your apartment and the antenna
location, the +4dB antenna gain may not be sufficient to compensate
for the coax loss. *Are you in a weak signal or strong signal area?

Is
an antenna amplifier justified? * If so, you might need 3

amplifiers
for your 3 different directions.

As I said, I use it 35 miles out from Mt Wilson (Los Angeles) and have
it split 4 ways - no preamps. I do have Line Of Sight (just barely)

Also, a 4dB gain antenna will not have a very directional antenna
pattern or be particularly directional. *My guess(tm) is perhaps

120
degrees wide. *There probably won't be much difference in signal
strength if your 3 directions are within the beam width.

You're right, it isn't very directional but it has a reasonable front-
to-back ratio.

I must say at the outset that I am hesitant to buy an antenna

based on its
form-factor, but I'm forced by the local code to not display bare-

element
type antennae on the mast.

I don't like getting into 'contests' with the HOAs if I can avoid it.
After all, we have to live with them.

As others have mentioned, this is mostly incorrect. *The problem is

in
the interpretation of the word "unreasonable", which might be
interpreted in a variety of ways. *Without details on your

situation,
I can't comment on this.

I do like the panel style for the reason that I can arrange 3

around a common
mast, aimed at remote cities, and join the outputs for increased

coverage.

Mast? *Welcome to "unreasonable". *The FCC 47.1.4000 clause that
limits antenna installation has nothing to say about the supporting
structure. *While the HOA may not be able to prevent you from
installing an antenna, they most certainly will have something to

say
about the design and construction of the supporting structure.

*They
may also demand that it be installed by a licensed and insured
installer to protect themselves against subsequent litigation. *I

know
you don't want to hear about all this, but methinks you should at
least be warned before blundering onward.

Has anyone experience with the SS-1000? Or can recommend a similar

style
antenna?

No recommendations. *Antennas are sized and designed to solve

specific
problems. *The design required in a strong signal area is quite
different from one in a weak signal area, in an urban canyon, for

an
indoor installation, or if it is intended to be disguised or
minimalized. *It's also important to know the lowest VHF frequency

or
channel that the antenna is expected to operate as this has a huge
effect on the physical size of the antenna. *Without a clue as to

your
situation, it's impossible to offer an endorsement or alternative.

*If
you find it inconvenient to disclose such details, I suggest you

use:
http://www.antennaweb.org
to optimize your selection and proposed installation.

--
Jeff Liebermann * *

All I can say is I've been using Winegard antennas since 1974 and have
found them to be well built good performers and have never been
disappointed with their products. Also, any friends who took my advice
were never disappointed with either the antannas OR me.