Old May 31st 09, 07:52 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,alt.tv.tech.hdtv

Default "Panel" style UHF DTV antenna?

On Sun, 31 May 2009 11:16:42 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

On May 31, 10:06*am, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

http://www.hdtvprimer.com/ANTENNAS/comparing.html
Unfortunately, the SS-1000 and SS-1000 are not listed.

Sure it is but it's called 'Square Shooter'

Sorry, typo error. I mean't the SS-1000 and SS-2000 (amplified). It
does list the "Sharp Shooter" which is a different indoor antenna.

What's inside the SS-1000 and some really weird "gain" tests:
http://www.hdtvexpert.com/pages/squareshot.htm

As I said, I use it 35 miles out from Mt Wilson (Los Angeles) and have
it split 4 ways - no preamps. I do have Line Of Sight (just barely)

Yes, but the original poster may not have such an ideal location.

Also, bad guess on the beamwidth. It's 54 (channel 69) to 95 (channel
7) degrees. Sorry.

You're right, it isn't very directional but it has a reasonable front-
to-back ratio.

It varies with frequency. It's only 2.6dB at channel 10. See specs
below.

All I can say is I've been using Winegard antennas since 1974 and have
found them to be well built good performers and have never been
disappointed with their products. Also, any friends who took my advice
were never disappointed with either the antannas OR me.

I try to avoid shopping by brand. Even the best manufacturers have
their lemons and losers. Right now, the advertising trend is to
replace your existing antenna with an HD or Digital TV antenna,
whatever that means. Also, to make it look like a DBS dish, which is
generally accepted by most HOA.

Specs and details:
http://www.winegarddirect.com/pdf/spec_ss1000-ss2000.pdf
http://www.winegarddirect.com/squareshooter-ss1000-ss2000/winegard-square-shooter.htm
http://www.winegarddirect.com/viewitem~p~ss-1000~d~Winegard-SS1000-SquareShooter-UHF-Only-DigitalAnalogHDTV-Antenna-System-(SS1000)~post~.htm
I don't see much to complain about in the design and construction of
this antenna. However, whether it's suitable for the OP's location
and application is unknown.

--
Jeff Liebermann

150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558