Old May 31st 09, 11:18 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,alt.tv.tech.hdtv
[email protected] stratus46@yahoo.com is offline

Default "Panel" style UHF DTV antenna?

On May 31, 11:52*am, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Sun, 31 May 2009 11:16:42 -0700 (PDT), wrote:
On May 31, 10:06*am, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
http://www.hdtvprimer.com/ANTENNAS/comparing.html
Unfortunately, the SS-1000 and SS-1000 are not listed.

Sure it is but it's called 'Square Shooter'

Sorry, typo error. *I mean't the SS-1000 and SS-2000 (amplified). *It
does list the "Sharp Shooter" which is a different indoor antenna.

What's inside the SS-1000 and some really weird "gain" tests:
http://www.hdtvexpert.com/pages/squareshot.htm

It's antenna 'M', the Square Shooter

As I said, I use it 35 miles out from Mt Wilson (Los Angeles) and have
it split 4 ways - no preamps. I do have Line Of Sight (just barely)

Yes, but the original poster may not have such an ideal location.

And that is why I point out my line of sight condidtion at 35 miles

Also, bad guess on the beamwidth. *It's 54 (channel 69) to 95 (channel
7) degrees. *Sorry.

You're right, it isn't very directional but it has a reasonable front-
to-back ratio.

It varies with frequency. *It's only 2.6dB at channel 10. *See specs
below.

I don't expect it to be usable where I'm at for channels 7,9,11 and
13. I'll try it and if / when it fails, I'll tie in the VHF of the
Winegard in the garage eaves. Hopefully its VHF performance will make
the grade under the roof 'chaff'. If the wife would put up with the
all channel garage antenna on the roof, it would certainly be fine BUT
she doesn't want to look at it, hence the SS-1000 at least for the
UHF.

All I can say is I've been using Winegard antennas since 1974 and have
found them to be well built good performers and have never been
disappointed with their products. Also, any friends who took my advice
were never disappointed with either the antannas OR me.

I try to avoid shopping by brand. *Even the best manufacturers have
their lemons and losers. *Right now, the advertising trend is to
replace your existing antenna with an HD or Digital TV antenna,
whatever that means. *Also, to make it look like a DBS dish, which is
generally accepted by most HOA.

Specs and details: *
http://www.winegarddirect.com/pdf/spec_ss1000-ss2000.pdf
http://www.winegarddirect.com/squareshooter-ss1000-ss2000/winegard-sq...
http://www.winegarddirect.com/viewitem~p~ss-1000~d~Winegard-SS1000-Sq...
I don't see much to complain about in the design and construction of
this antenna. *However, whether it's suitable for the OP's location
and application is unknown.

--
Jeff Liebermann * *

You won't find any new Sony at our house but you will find 4 Gigabyte
motherboards with AMD processors, 3 old Technics receivers, 8 Advent
speakers, Canon cameras and a lot of who knows what. When one of the
brands falls short I'll re-evaluate but for now I'm happy.