Old June 4th 09, 05:47 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Clifford Heath Clifford Heath is offline

Default Hexbeam Antenna Modeling

wrote:
Turn radius is about 12.5" for a 2m broadband hex.

Sorry Steve, I see a pair of W shapes, or a W driver and
4-of-6 hexagon reflector. Which measurement is 12.5" - is
this the radius (length) of the hexagon arms (and hence
also of all the peripheral segments)?

It should be possible to get very deep and narrow F/B nulls by
adjusting the Driver/Reflector end spacing at some cost to the VSWR.

If I'm reading you right, the gap between the ends is the
salient factor here. Suggestions on how big a gap to try
first? Something like 3cm?

Sorry for the newbie-ness. Been doing electronics for 30
years, but only now getting into radio and have never tuned
an antenna. Sorta understand EM fields, but don't have any
RF test gear yet, except for my very nice VK3YNG sniffer
(google it). Maybe I should borrow/buy one of the little
fox-or transmitters to tune up an antenna, but it'll be too
late for this weekend's national foxhunt champs in Mt Gambier.

Clifford Heath VK3CLF.