Old June 5th 09, 05:16 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
dykesc dykesc is offline

Default Using Tuner to Determine Line Input Impedance

On Jun 4, 7:24*pm, K7ITM wrote:

In a quick scan of the replies, one thing I didn't see mentioned is

that if the indicated SWR is not 1:1, then there's an uncertainty in
your answer. *For example, a 1.1:1 indicated SWR, taken with a meter
calibrated accurately to 50 ohms, could represent 55 ohms or 45.5
ohms, or any other impedance with the same magnitude of reflection
coefficient relative to 50 ohms. *If you start at 55 ohms, you'll get
a different answer for a particular L and C than if you start at 45.5
ohms. *Of course, each of those will be different than the answers for
other phase angles of the same reflection coefficient. *You can get
rid of that particular uncertainty by adjusting to 1:1 SWR. *Of
course, you're still left with other uncertainties, but since you have
control over that particular one (presumably), at least get rid of it.

Yes, I thought about that Tom. The premise of my undertaking is that I
can achieve a 1:1 match. At times I'll bet my tuner won't make it.

I'd use WinSmith to do the calc you mention, or hack a simple
spreadsheet if I had several to do, or put the values into Matlab or
Scilab.

I'll check them out.

Thanks for taking the time to help me out.

73

Dykes AD5VS