Old October 19th 03, 02:24 PM
Ralph Mowery

I recently became interested in trying to build a small two-tube regen

type
receiver for broadcast and/or shortwave reception. I designed a simple
chassis based on some vintage articles on the subject. This is the

classic
'metal box with attched front faceplate' design. I was going to use
cold-rolled steel since we have this at work and spot weld the face to the
main chassis, but then I got to thinking that perhaps the steel might
interfere with the coils. I noticed also after this that every old

article
that I've come across usually suggested aluminum for the chassis. They
don't make mention of the reasons for this, however. I was wondering if
ease of machinability for the amatuer working with simple hand tools, and

Aluminum is usually easier for most to work with with simple hand tools.
Steel is fine but it might rust and look bad after a while. Make the
chassie out of whatever kind of metel that you think is the best for you to
work with . Electrically there will be little if any differance.