Old June 5th 09, 07:36 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
BDK[_6_] BDK[_6_] is offline

Default First shortwave radio questions?

In article 4ab23b9e-b506-4539-aada-
, says...
On Jun 4, 2:50*pm, dave wrote:
elfa wrote:
In article ,
Art Harris says...
Someone wrote:
I just got my first shortwave radio, a PL-600. I can only pickup about 5
shortwave stations, 2 of which are somewhat clear. I have nothing but
static on WBCQ 9330khz, i should get this for sure right? I live close
to NYC.

Well, conditions are pretty poor due to low sunspot activity. Best bet
is to tune 5.8 to 6.2 MHz and 7.2 to 7.5 MHz in the evenings, 15.0 to
15.5 MHz and 11.5 to 12.1 MHz during daylight hours. And 9.3 to 10.0
MHz most anytime.

You should be able to hear Radio Australia very well in english on
9.58 MHz around 7:00 a.m. ET.

If my radio defective or do i need a bigger antenna?

What is your antenna?

Also, radio reception is all about signal to noise ratio. If you have
a lot of locally generated noise, it's gonna be tough to hear
anything.

Art Harris

Art...

The same question from me. *I live in San Francisco bay area. *I have a Sony
2010. *My antenna is a wire connected to my metal gutter. *Stopped listening
when the BBC stopped broadcasting to US.

I'm looking for a reason to listen to SW again but need some help with time/freq
of English speaking stations.

Any recommendations?

thanks

elfa

Monitoring Times magazine has an English broadcasts section t6hat is
quite in-depth. *Passport to World Band Radio also has listings by
time-of-day.- Hide quoted text -

Unfortunately, that is about the only thing MT is good for anymore
IMO.

Well, even if true, that still makes it worth a hell of a lot more than
PopComm.
--

BDK..
Leader of the nonexistent paid shills.