Old June 5th 09, 01:04 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Art Harris Art Harris is offline

Default First shortwave radio questions?

Someone wrote:

One of the original questions in the thread was WBCQ (although I
think he was using an old freq).

You're on LI; I'm in NYC. What's your reception like on WBCQ (7415)? I
can get them so-so, as an average, in late afternoon and very early
evening. But come sundown, they might as well be TXing from the moon.

I've been given arguments that the skip zone is in effect. That seems
nutty to me, given the distance.

I haven't listened to WBCQ in a while. But as for propagation, ground
wave at 7 MHz is limited to about 30 miles or so. Anything beyond that
is skywave. Lately skip distances have been long on 7 MHz, so that
would account for you not hearing WBCQ over a Maine to NYC path. I've
noticed the same thing on the 40 meter ham band. Signals are weak, and
the skip is long, even at mid-day.

Art N2AH