Old June 5th 09, 05:43 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
D. Peter Maus D. Peter Maus is offline

Default Icom R75 firmware check

On 06/05/09 11:14, m II wrote:
D. Peter Maus wrote:

Neither the ICOM knowledge base, nor the manual for R75 mentions
firmware, any means of updating it, or whether there is a version tracker.

Likely, you gets what you gets.

Weird. Even my now antiquated HP calculators usually tell you what they
are running. I wonder if there is a list of serial numbers tied to the
manufacturing date somewhere.

If the radio isn't firmware upgradable through factory processes,
it's likely that there is only one firmware version. But there are
several variants of the radio itself, pursuant to bandplans and
other limitations imposed by local governments worldwide. ICOM has
historically, issued an appended model number for each variant. As
well, radios powered by 12 volts as opposed to mains current, will
carry a differentiating model number.

If it's a USA model, you've got the right version of the firmware.

Then, again, as with R71, the firmware may be field upgradable
with a third party chip or daughterboard.

You may want to call Bellevue and ask for clarification. And I'm
guessing KIWA would have that specialized knowledge, as well.