Old June 5th 09, 06:26 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
dxAce dxAce is offline

Default First shortwave radio questions?

"I. P. Yurin" wrote:

On Thu, 04 Jun 2009 18:59:22 -0400, dxAce
wrote:

"I. P. Yurin" wrote:

On Thu, 4 Jun 2009 12:59:32 -0700 (PDT), Art Harris
wrote:
elfa wrote:

The same question from me. I live in San Francisco bay area. I have a Sony
2010. My antenna is a wire connected to my metal gutter. Stopped listening
when the BBC stopped broadcasting to US.

I'm looking for a reason to listen to SW again but need some help with time/freq
of English speaking stations.

Yes, it's not as much fun as it used to be, especially with the poor
propagation, many long-time SW broadcasters calling it quits, and all
the paid religious broadcasts all over the spectrum.

I'm on Long Island, so I can't give specific advice as to what's
hearable in SF. There are websites that list current english language
shortwave broadcasts.

http://www.primetimeshortwave.com/

You can still hear BBC, it just takes a little more work. Also Radio
Canada, Deutsche Welle, France, Romania, etc. And the ubiquitous China
Radio.

Art Harris

Art,

One of the original questions in the thread was WBCQ (although I
think he was using an old freq).

You're on LI; I'm in NYC. What's your reception like on WBCQ (7415)? I
can get them so-so, as an average, in late afternoon and very early
evening. But come sundown, they might as well be TXing from the moon.
The dark side. It's all I can do to make out the Last Day Prophet's
harangue.

I've been given arguments that the skip zone is in effect.

Yes, that would explain it... the band goes 'long'.

Any idea how long "long" is? Can it be heard well in Pittsburgh?
Detroit?

That of course depends upon propagation.

I used to have no trouble pulling in BCQ all night long. It was that
way for years, which makes me think that there's some other factor at
work here, that something has changed either environmentally or at the
station.

Sunspots, or lack thereof?