Old June 8th 09, 03:31 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
dykesc dykesc is offline

Default Using Tuner to Determine Line Input Impedance

On Jun 7, 6:57*pm, Richard Clark wrote:
On Sun, 7 Jun 2009 10:54:46 -0700 (PDT), dykesc

wrote:
Do you use the MFJ-259B at the load, or through the line?

Through the line Richard.

OK. *Then you need to consider that the line is transforming the load
Z to the Z measured (by both methods) at the line input. *I realize
you already appreciate this. *However, the length of the line in
wavelengths also casts more exaggerated results into your computation
when that length is not a multiple of odd eighth wavelengths. *This
suggestion comes from Walt Maxwell's own work and sidenotes to his
measurements as published in any of his several releases of
"Reflections." *Read his commentary on this for more detail.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC

When you said "At the load" I thought you meant at the antenna. When
you said "through the line" I thought you meant at the line input
(source end). I am measuring at the line input (source end) with both
methods. Are you saying that line length could be a factor in the
quality of the line input impedance measurements?

Thanks. Still learning here.

Dykes AD5VS