Old June 8th 09, 06:05 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Brian Reay[_2_] Brian Reay[_2_] is offline

Default Hoffman RT159A

"Dr. Barry L. Ornitz" wrote in message
"Brian Reay" wrote in message
I've a Hoffman RT-159A / URC-4 for sale.

Pics of this type of unit he

http://www.eetindia.co.in/ART_880055...A_87563c7c.HTM

This is an emergency tx/rx designed to work on the VHF and UHF
emergency frequencies. The sort of thing which a "downed" pilot work use
to contact SAR aircraft.

It has telescopic antennas which extend and "fold out" to form a T
shaped dipole.

You might find far more information on these units by the full
designation URC-4 or more properly the RT-159A/URC-4. The battery
supplied 1.5 volts and 90 volts. It was a mercury battery and it
was to be carried INSIDE the airman's jacket to keep it warm and
operable. The batteries and rubber cables are rather rare these
days. I have several of the radios, two batteries, and 2 cables
back at my home in Tennessee, along with two original manuals. The
tubes are "peanut" tubes and not pencil tubes. The latter name was
reserved for RCA's line of microwave planar triodes and diodes.
These radios were easy to convert to 2-meters which was discussed in
the third edition of Surplus Conversion Manual. The telescoping
elements of the antenna were to be fully extended on 121.5 MHz and
fully collapsed on 243 MHz.

Thank you for the further information.

--
73