Old June 9th 09, 02:59 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
tom tom is offline

Default Mag Mount lesson

Michael Coslo wrote:
Maybe some people can take something away from my unfortunate experience.

snip
- 73 de Mike N3LI -

I have had a couple negative experiences with single magnets, and one
with a 6 meter halo on a triple magnet. I would say the triple or quad
with a hamstick is practically impossible to knock off, however. At
least at any speed less than 30 over the interstate limit including
normal wind gusts. Or so I've heard.

One other thing you need to consider about magnet mounts is that a layer
of water will end up underneath the magnet due to imperfections in it
and the roof. You _will_ damage the paint if you leave it on for more
than a few days at a time. You _will_ damage your paint if you put it
on and remove it regularly to get rid of the water. It's a Catch-22.

tom
K0TAR