Old June 11th 09, 12:54 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment
Ed Cregger Ed Cregger is offline

Default The End is Near...

"Stray Dog" wrote in message
.org...

Date: Mon, 8 Jun 2009 11:46:38 -0400
From: Ed Cregger
Newsgroups: rec.radio.amateur.equipment
Subject: The End is Near...

I've been using usenet for about 15 years with various names. I just read
the announcement from AT&T that they are ending usenet services very
soon.
That sucks. But so does growing old in general. Still, quite often it
beats
the alternative.

To all of those that I have chatted with over the years and whom I may
never
chat again, thanks. It's been fun.

Ed Cregger

There are lots of alternatives.

Use your web browser and go to;

http://groups.google.com

I think yahoo has usenet access, too.

Also use google (or any search engine) and search on "newsgroups access"

You can purchase subscriptions to unix shell accounts at many ISPs and
learn a bit of unix, and use a unix email-newgroup client (there are many,
but PINE is very easy to learn), and you also beat all the email carried
viruses, too, because you read your email in a unix environment from your
windows computer (or mac) by opening a telnet window.

You can get an almost free shell account at:

http://freeshell.org or //sdf.lonestar.org

but you have to learn a few things, too, and pay one buck activation fee
and he likes a lifetime membership fee of $36 for full priviledges.

www.mv.com

and

www.panix.com

also have unix shell accounts with full unix NG access, and the usual
clients.

Thanks to you and everyone else that answered. I don't know what I was
thinking when I made the original post. Musta been a senior moment, but with
all of the information that has been posted, I'll still be on the
newsgroups.

73 everyone.

Ed, AJ4PJ