Old June 11th 09, 05:17 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Kash J. Rangan Kash J. Rangan is offline

Default Coax + Ladder Line

Thanks for all your responses and ideas.

Yes, I do have an antenna tuner. The maximum length of the antenna I can
hope for can only be about 65ft because of the placement of trees in my back
yard and access to my shack. At this time I will be happy if I can tune to
some bands up to 40M. I did not want to drill any additional holes for
outside access if I can help it amd make use of the existing one. I also
wanted the option of total disconnect from the outside. My equipment has
been fried by lightning in my previous QTH.

I figure it would be about a 60 ft run to the feed point. I am aware that
certain feed line lengths are to be avoided to minimize transmission line
radiation and tuning problems. In addition to low loss I thought ladder line
would be much lighter than coax. I don't have any way to support my antenna
at the center so I am trying to keep it as light as possible. Not sure of
the wind loads though but I will have a modest workable antenna up soon.

You all have been very helpful in sharing your thoughts.

73

AG4EL, Kash