Old June 11th 09, 07:39 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Emanuele Colucci Emanuele Colucci is offline

Default Cassegrain Antenna Development

Thank you John for this message.

J. Mc Laughlin ha scritto:
You are commended for initiative in wishing to have a radio telescope.
Crafting such an instrument can be an end into itself. However, having an
observational goal seems to be desirable if this is more than a construction
project. I recommend that you read the ample literature that is available
to help you design an observational goal.

Yep, I'm still documenting. Perhaps, there are alternatives to a Cas
antenna (Yes, I admit, because of exams I haven't crafted it yet, but
for me this is a very long term project), like a little array of offset
parabolic antennas.

Note that you need a large size if you are to achieve resolution, which
might not be an objective. I worked on the receiving system for a system at
NRAO at Green Bank, W.Va. that used a fixed, high gain antenna to observe
(once a day) the strength of one source. The antenna used had a predictable
gain and, with calibration, the system was able to provide flux measurements
(with an attendant uncertainty, of course).

This is interesting!
How much time did it take to make a complete radio stellar map?

Note that the first real radio
telescope by Reber was a parabolic dish - it still exists. (He was a really
bright, innovative guy.)

Reber's parabolic dish is giant My site is situated in countryside,
and it could be able to host dishes of max 3 meters of diameter: the
data would be transmitted over the internet to my home (near Naples, ITA).

The presence of antennas used to receive satellite broadcasts that use
offset feeds should be considered. Such antennas can have desirable antenna
temperatures because of the placement of the feed while not having
feed-blockage.

Great. I'll watch for these antennas too!

Most important is the avoidance of re-inventing the wheel that can be
effected by serious study of the literature. That is where I recommend that
you start. Kraus' books on antennas and radio-astronomy could be a good
place to start. It would be wonderful to be young and have so much learning
to look forward to! After over 50 years of studying radio related subjects,
I am still excited.

Thanks again for reporting your experiences and the advices!

I haven't read Kraus book about radio astronomy: my sources are Collin
and some italian books by Flavio Falcinelli. But now I'll surely look
for this book too!

Greetings,

Emanuele Colucci