Old June 11th 09, 09:33 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Ed Cregger Ed Cregger is offline

Default Coax + Ladder Line

"Michael Coslo" wrote in message
Ed Cregger wrote:

Another thing to consider is that the length of the 450/300 ohm twinlead
feedline is an important factor when considering the operational
bandwidth of said "dipole" antenna (it's only a dipole when operated at
its resonant length).

I have to chuckle when you bring this up in a discussion of that true
chimera, the G5RV. I've heard so many antennas called G5RV's that the term
means nothing any more - kinda of like scotch tape.

So yeah, I guess we should call it a doublet. Of course, all doublets are
dipoles at some point, and all dipoles are doublets.......

- 73 de Mike N3LI -

Well, that wasn't the point that I was trying to make.

I was saying that the length of the twinlead is very important and that it
shouldn't be shortened (commercial versions) any more than necessary, lest
one lose some of the utility of this type of antenna. I know that folks are
eager to transition to coax, but that isn't the way that leads to the best
working sample of this antenna.

Ed, AJ4PJ