Old June 12th 09, 11:46 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Rich Griffiths Rich Griffiths is offline

Default Update: DTV antenna on VHF

On Fri, 12 Jun 2009 17:33:55 -0500, Rich Griffiths wrote:

On Fri, 12 Jun 2009 23:25:40 +0200, Gordon wrote:

AS expected, local channels 8, 10 and 12 moved their digital broadcasts
back to their VHF assignments last night. They had been temporarily
broadcasting digital in the UHF band. I was expecting to have problems
with my dual bowtie antenna. But this morning I rescaned the channels
(and verified that the move had taken place). Then checked reception
on the affected channels. It was great. No problems. All that
worrying for nothing. Thanks for listening.

One situation that cropped up in my area (Cincinnati) is that channel 9,
which was broadcasting digital on channel 10 VHF, had to wait until just
before the conversion to raise their DTV antenna from 100 ft down to the
top of their tower. We're also using a dual bowtie, and their change
made a difference.

Maybe not THE factor in your case, but glad things worked out for you.

I should have mentioned:

what especially interested me about this is how relatively unimportant
antenna height has seemed to be in my microwave work.

Until this past year (when rotator cuff surgery took me out), I had been
doing quite a bit of microwave work as a rover (903 MHz - 10 GHz). I was
often impressed by how far over the horizon it would work with an antenna
only about 5 ft off the ground and about 1 W of power.

Granted we were working with MUCH lower signal quality requirements than
the TV stations, but I still am surprised by how poor our reception is of
DTV channel 12 (and earlier, ch9), which is transmitting MANY kW from a
multihundred-ft tower only about 16 km away.

Engineers may argue otherwise, but it still seems to have a certain
element of black magic to me :-)

--
Rich W2RG