Old June 17th 09, 01:39 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
dxAce dxAce is offline

Default Shocking Experience

Brenda Ann wrote:

"dxAce" wrote in message
I had one experience like that when I was maybe 16 or 17 and I decided to
mess
around inside a Hammarlund receiver, quite the shock.

Only other thing like that I saw was another guy in the Navy getting into
about
5 KV, sent him across the work space, but he was OK.

My most fun shock was when I was about 22. Was working on a microwave oven,
and got across that .5uf 4KV cap. Definately a more stout jolt than from a
TV CRT... I always thought, up to that time, that getting launched backward
across a room by a jolt like that was something that only happened in
cartoons.. well.. after I picked myself up from a large pile of stainless
steel cookware on the other side of the kitchen, I thought much differently.
Definately got my attention (and got my heartrate up to about 200 for a
couple minutes..)

Like ya say, you think it only happens in a cartoon, but when it happens to you,
it becomes a very, very fast cartoon!

Another story I related to Cuzz Burr this morning had to do with a fellow who
removed what he thought was a defective pressure gauge from a fuel tank access
cover that was in our workspace. The tank itself was directly below us.

The gauge was indeed defective, tank still pressurized, and at the time all our
fire control gear, radar stuff, computers, were fired up.

A few hairy and scary moments there.

I still remember the very shocked look on my fellow sailors face as he tried to
plug the flow of fuel that was spraying out all over the place.