Old June 17th 09, 06:13 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
JB[_3_] JB[_3_] is offline

Default Possible new problem TVI

"Sal M. Onella" wrote in message

"Rich Griffiths" wrote in message
communications...

I switched to digital about 3 years ago. All over-the-air, no cable or
satellite. The little bit of TVI had been seeing went away entirely

when
I switched.

But sometimes the circuits in the TV pick up TVI directly. In my
unfortunate case, a big tube Sony, circa 1995, is on a digital cable box
that outputs S-video/stereo audio to the TV. When I put antennas too

close
to the living room, I caused analog TVI in the form of SSB "wah-wah" in

the
audio, with flashing and streaking in the picture. (Had I been getting in
at RF channel frequencies, digital would have shown tiling and audio
dropout, which it didn't.) I filtered the heck out of those three cables
and it only helped a little. I think the internals of the set are the
receiving antenna(s).

I don't see a Faraday cage for a 35" TV in my future.
She-who-must-be-obeyed wouldn't like it, either.

"Sal"

If you ground all the inputs, do you still have interference? Common mode
is the usual problem. Given the number of DVD-players, VCR's, surround
sound systems, switchboxes, Media Center computers tied in, you could easily
have more problems than which of seven remote controls to look for.