Old June 17th 09, 07:26 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Rich Griffiths Rich Griffiths is offline

Default Possible new problem TVI

On Tue, 16 Jun 2009 12:51:04 -0700, Sal M. Onella wrote:

"Rich Griffiths" wrote in message
communications...

I switched to digital about 3 years ago. All over-the-air, no cable or
satellite. The little bit of TVI had been seeing went away entirely
when I switched.

But sometimes the circuits in the TV pick up TVI directly. In my
unfortunate case, a big tube Sony, circa 1995, is on a digital cable box
that outputs S-video/stereo audio to the TV. When I put antennas too
close to the living room, I caused analog TVI in the form of SSB
"wah-wah" in the audio, with flashing and streaking in the picture.
(Had I been getting in at RF channel frequencies, digital would have
shown tiling and audio dropout, which it didn't.) I filtered the heck
out of those three cables and it only helped a little. I think the
internals of the set are the receiving antenna(s).

I guess this analog-to-digital transition is going to be another your-
mileage-may-vary situation, but I do hope it works out for most folks.

Did you also check out the power wiring as another possible antenna? If
proximity of the RF source and the TV system was a factor, I think I'd
worry more about the susceptibility of the receiving system more than the
cleanness of the RF source, and RF getting in by the power cord used to
be a common problem.

I don't see a Faraday cage for a 35" TV in my future.
She-who-must-be-obeyed wouldn't like it, either.

"Sal"

For sure, it's not nice to fool .... OH! ... I guess you mean the
wife :-)

--
Rich