Old June 18th 09, 01:58 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Mike Coslo[_2_] Mike Coslo[_2_] is offline

Default Coax + Ladder Line

wrote:

Sure, there are losses with the balun used in most tuners, but I
consider that a price to pay for a multi band antenna.

Chiming in late on this one...

Mythical attributes aside, I believe the real reason that ladder line
has become more popular is:

1. Almost all rigs are All HF band these days.

2. Many people have just one antenna they can put up at any given time.
Whether it is space considerations, maintaining a low profile or
keeping the XYL happy I remember the discussions with my wife when I
wanted to put up the HF vertical. "Why do you need two antennas?" "Are
you going to transmit two signals at the same time?". Twasn't easy, and
a lot of Hams might lose that argument.

So assuming it is a doublet, and I wanted to run 80 to 10 meters, I'd
put up much wire as I could, not mess with coax, just run ladder line to
a window panel, then into the house, into a tuner that can handle
balanced line. And pay attention to the lengths that might make for
trouble in matching.

- 73 de Mike N3LI -