Old June 19th 09, 01:48 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Dave Dave is offline

Default Coax + Ladder Line

"Jim Lux" wrote in message
Mike Coslo wrote:
wrote:

Sure, there are losses with the balun used in most tuners, but I
consider that a price to pay for a multi band antenna.

Chiming in late on this one...

Mythical attributes aside, I believe the real reason that ladder line has
become more popular is:

1. Almost all rigs are All HF band these days.

2. Many people have just one antenna they can put up at any given time.
Whether it is space considerations, maintaining a low profile or keeping
the XYL happy I remember the discussions with my wife when I wanted to
put up the HF vertical. "Why do you need two antennas?" "Are you going to
transmit two signals at the same time?". Twasn't easy, and a lot of Hams
might lose that argument.

So assuming it is a doublet, and I wanted to run 80 to 10 meters, I'd put
up much wire as I could, not mess with coax, just run ladder line to a
window panel, then into the house, into a tuner that can handle balanced
line. And pay attention to the lengths that might make for trouble in
matching.

Or, put up as much wire as you can, put an autotuner at the feedpoint, and
run coax back to the shack.

probably a six of one, half dozen of the other, depending on what you
already have, what kind of support structures you have (if you are putting
up an inverted V, then supporting the weight of the tuner isn't an
issue..), etc.

for most people the feedline won't be that long so just put up the inverted
v, wind a coax choke at the feed point (or not) and just run it back to the
shack and use the tuner in the rig.