Old June 20th 09, 11:57 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Dave M[_2_] Dave M[_2_] is offline

Default cb to 10m conversion

"Bob" wrote in message
. ..
Hi gang,
I'm looking for any information regarding converting pll type cbs to 10m.
Specifically I picked up a couple of Cobra HH33 handhelds and it looks
like a simple reference oscillator xtal change along with a new 2nd
oscillator using the orignal pll rock will get these things somewhere on
10.
Ideas? Web sites? Books?

Thanks!

Bob

Years ago (probably in the 70s), there was a flood of CB chassis on the
surplus market from Hy-Gain, a major manufacturer that was going out of
business. There was a number of magazine articles in 73 Magazine that went
into excruciating detail on the CB-10M conversion. I never did one, but as
I remember, it was a matter of changing crystals and some minor retuning.
Don't remember if there were any component changes necessary, but if there
were, they would likely be in the tuned RF circuits in the receiver
front-end and in the transmitter final stage.
Take a look here (http://www.cbcintl.com/pllbook.htm) and you should get a
pretty good idea on how to do your radio. If your Cobra is a recent model,
the PLL might be completely different than the old PLL02 chips, but the
theory should still be the same. There's also a doc on CB to 6M conversion
at
http://6mt.com/index.php?option=com_... 21&Itemid=53.
First thing I could recommend would be to see if you can find a schematic
for your radio. That would allow you to do the math on the crystals and how
they mix to make it work.

Cheers,
--
Dave M
masondg44 at comcast dot net

One good thing about Alzheimer's; you get to meet new people every day.