Old October 23rd 03, 03:01 PM
Tim Shoppa

Brian Connors wrote in message ...
I am looking for a simple -- as in not too much more complex than a
Pixie -- schematic for a 2m or 6m FM transmitter or transceiver. Anyone
know where I can find one that's low-cost and suitable for a beginner to
build, if such a thing exists?

Ramsey sells a 2M crystal-controlled (single channel) FM transmitter for
about $70. No receiver. I'd be extremely reluctant to recommend this to a
newbie because they'd need a separate receiver too.

Ten-Tec's 1220 (2M) and 1260 (6M) kits are nice radios, but are $200
and way way more than what you asked for. They are full-fledged
digital PLL radios. They're good values, but not what you asked for.

I think you'd be better off getting some older crystal-controlled
transceivers (assuming you can find any!) and teaching newbies how
to put a crystal in for the local repeater and align them.

Tim.