Old June 29th 09, 06:03 AM posted to sci.astro,rec.radio.amateur.space,rec.radio.amateur.antenna,sci.astro.seti,sci.physics
BradGuth BradGuth is offline

Default High data rate space transmissions through visible lightcommunication.

On Jun 28, 5:31*pm, Robert Clark wrote:
On Jun 28, 1:41 pm, Richard Clark wrote:

On Sun, 28 Jun 2009 17:14:14 +1000, "Peter Webb"

wrote:
Furthermore, the radiation from a reflected area is isotropic - goes in all
directions - and hence very little is directed towards the earth.

Actually, it is lambertian in its distribution, and it would have a
major lobe that was directed in rather typical fashion (at the same,
but negative angle to the norm to the surface). *However, as is the
intent of your response, very much less will find its way to the
intended target.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC

*This describes the reflection from the Iridium antennas as specular
where most of the reflected light is concentrated in a single
direction:

SeeSat-L Apr-98: Method for predicting flare.http://satobs.org/seesat/Apr-1998/0175.html

*About specular reflection:

Specular reflection.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Specular_reflection

*We could get even higher concentration of the image by using
parabolic mirror reflectors.

* *Bob Clark

Yes, and it was all doable as of more than a decade ago. However, at
the rate we're going, perhaps another century is required.

~ BG