Old July 2nd 09, 07:24 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
No Spam No Spam is offline

Default Noise Immune type of Antenna

On Thu, 02 Jul 2009 11:25:37 +0000, Brad wrote:

Hi,

I like to listen to ham radio HF bands and short wave broadcasts,
but
I often have intermittent power line noise. I found a source (power
pole, possibly bad insulator), but when the person from the power
company came out to investigate my complaint, the noise wasn't there
(intermittent).

Running a wire antenna perpendicular (not parallel) to power lines
is one
way to lower power line noise, but unfortunately, the power lines run
North to South where I live. My wire antenna also runs North to South
so it "favors" East and West, which is what I want.

Can anyone recommend a noise immune type of antenna that is less
sensitive to power line noise?

Thanks in advance, Brad

Before I discovered the T2FD, the noise was soo bad that I never pursued
my ticket. The T2FD's balanced nature reduced local QRM from S9 to S1.

Some people here will tell you all the problems with this type of antenna
but I've had great fun over the last 4 years. I constructed mine from
plans off the web but you can purchase these already to fly.