Old July 3rd 09, 05:45 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
[email protected][_2_] miso@sushi.com[_2_] is offline

Default Wellbrook ALA1530 next to a RF Systems DX1 Pro

On Jul 2, 12:46*pm, dave wrote:
wrote:

I've been testing out my antenna using HFDL, which gives you position
data on the transmitting source.
http://www.lazygranch.com/temp/pchfd...07012009_1.jpg
http://www.lazygranch.com/temp/pchfd...07012009_2.jpg
This is 7000 statute miles of data reception, a tougher criteria than
CW or voice. The noise rejection of the Wellbrook design helps under
these conditions.

I've done side by side comparisons with the KIWA loop. The KIWA isn't
as good as my ALA100 setup IF (big if) you use a good radio. The KIWA
is filtered, so it often covers up for the lack of filtering in your
receiver.

7,000 miles digital on 50 Watts?

http://psk.gladstonefamily.net/pskmap.html

Generally what you get with HFDL is a series of routes that make
sense. For instance, you monitor Alaska, and you get routes to Alaska.
But there is often an odd route or two that shows up. Using internet
tracking, you can see if the flight makes sense. But these flights
that are at a long distance need two things in common. One, they need
to be squittering on a frequency that really doesn't make sense for
the area. Two, it probably needs a sweet spot.

Are there some instructions regarding your psk map?