Old July 4th 09, 11:38 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
William Stearns William Stearns is offline

Default Refurbishing my Galazy GT550

I acquired a GT550 along with its matching power supply about 10 years
ago from someone's garage. I've had the thing packed up for about the
same amount of time. I have the manual and tons of schematics along
with several hand drawn schematics from the previous owner(s) with
various notes and dates. I pulled it out over field day and turned it
on to listen to it next to the Alinco HF rig that hasn't been out in
at least 9 years to see if it still could hear. Surprisingly both
rigs worked and my oldest son, now 10 seems somewhat interested in the
hobby. Maybe he just likes all the dials and lights. :-) So, I'm
thinking I want to dig into this vintage radio and try to get it back
up to snuff as an electronics project for my oldest and I. Does
anyone have any hints and possibly and specific vendors that they've
had good luck with in the aid of restoring a vintage radio? Thanks in
advance and 73 de KE4RGH.