Old July 5th 09, 04:48 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Joe[_10_] Joe[_10_] is offline

Default Refurbishing my Galazy GT550

Hi. I remember the GT550; we had one at our high school ham club around
1975. It's nice that your son is showing some interest in the hobby.
Hopefully he'll be bitten by the bug.

Regarding your question, I think the answer depends on whether you're
looking for vendors to provide repair services, or to provide parts.
There are lots of parts vendors around. Digi-Key and Mouser are perhaps
the two biggest general-purpose electronic part suppliers who still deal
with small orders. They carry lots of resistors, capacitors,
semiconductors, and other general purpose items.

If you need parts that are specific to the GT550, you can post a message
here or at other ham-oriented sites like eHam or QRZ.com. Likewise if
you want to post technical questions as you try to repair the GT550 on
your own.

If you're looking for someone to ship the radio off to for repair, I've
heard of a few guys that offer repair service but I don't have any links
to offer you. Maybe someone else can assist.

73 & GL,
Joe K9LY

In article
,
William Stearns wrote:

I acquired a GT550 along with its matching power supply about 10 years
ago from someone's garage. I've had the thing packed up for about the
same amount of time. I have the manual and tons of schematics along
with several hand drawn schematics from the previous owner(s) with
various notes and dates. I pulled it out over field day and turned it
on to listen to it next to the Alinco HF rig that hasn't been out in
at least 9 years to see if it still could hear. Surprisingly both
rigs worked and my oldest son, now 10 seems somewhat interested in the
hobby. Maybe he just likes all the dials and lights. :-) So, I'm
thinking I want to dig into this vintage radio and try to get it back
up to snuff as an electronics project for my oldest and I. Does
anyone have any hints and possibly and specific vendors that they've
had good luck with in the aid of restoring a vintage radio? Thanks in
advance and 73 de KE4RGH.