Old July 6th 09, 06:31 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Richard Clark Richard Clark is offline

Default i am going to put a tv ant on my 100ft tower

On Sun, 5 Jul 2009 23:45:01 -0700, "Sal M. Onella"
wrote:

"Bill" wrote in message
. ..

snip

I lived in Chicago in 1962-63 and DX'ed channel 2 in Miami at 5:30 A.M.
in the winter. Sometimes it pays off and sometimes not. That was back in
the days of test signals, many with the Indian, and I took snapshots of
the screen with my camera. No VCR's back then either.

I never did that well. Late night Buffalo NY received in Norfolk VA was my
best (1969). The picture was good enough a bunch of us sat around and
watched the movie!

Norfolk was an interesting location -- just a few local stations in those
days, so it was good for DX. I was at sea level, but I had a 50-foot mast
and no surrounding obstacles.

Channel 5 was funny. With the antenna aimed approx northeast, we got
Channel 5 from Washington DC. Then, without changing the channel, we
rotated CCW and got Channel 5 in Washington again, but it was Washington,
NC, a completely different station.

Sal

Hi All,

With a small TV antenna from Sears (like Sal, back in the mid 60s), up
5 feet above the roof (split level), on the crest of a hill (6200 feet
in Colorado Springs), I was able to DX Calgary and Edmonton.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC