Old July 8th 09, 07:57 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Bill Bill is offline

Default i am going to put a tv ant on my 100ft tower

Sal M. Onella wrote:
"Bill" wrote in message

snip

I lived in Chicago in 1962-63 and DX'ed channel 2 in Miami at 5:30 A.M.
in the winter. Sometimes it pays off and sometimes not. That was back in
the days of test signals, many with the Indian, and I took snapshots of
the screen with my camera. No VCR's back then either.

I never did that well. Late night Buffalo NY received in Norfolk VA was my
best (1969). The picture was good enough a bunch of us sat around and
watched the movie!

Norfolk was an interesting location -- just a few local stations in those
days, so it was good for DX. I was at sea level, but I had a 50-foot mast
and no surrounding obstacles.

Channel 5 was funny. With the antenna aimed approx northeast, we got
Channel 5 from Washington DC. Then, without changing the channel, we
rotated CCW and got Channel 5 in Washington again, but it was Washington,
NC, a completely different station.

Sal

Miami was my best ever. Sometimes I could get WCCO in Minneapolis, Grand
Rapids, Michigan, and a few stations from Iowa. I had the biggest
antenna you could buy with a CDR (real) rotator and a nuvistor amp at
the antenna. Plus a 30' mast on top of the house. A bit over the top for
a 13 year old but it kept me out of trouble and drove my parents nuts to
have the TV turned on at 5:00 A.M. When that was not giving me signals I
went to my room and fired up the Hallicrafters S-108 with a 200' antenna
out to the fence in the back yard. Not ideal but I got the whole world
at one point or another.
I was not your average 13 year old, more like a prototype geek.
Bill Baka